Friday, January 25, 2008

Feeding Asher

Yesterday the doctor ordered I could hold Asher two times a day and this morning he ordered holding him anytime. That was so wonderful to hear. Also this morning the doctor ordered nursing Asher three times a day. I was thrilled. They keep track of how much he eats by weighing him before and after he eats. When I fed him at 1 p.m. he ate four teaspoons. That is wonderful because in his last tube feeding before he nursed he was given three teaspoons. That is great progress. They need to feed him through the tube in between each nursing so I will nurse him tonight at 7 p.m. and again at 1 a.m..

He will finish his antibiotics tomorrow and his steroid on Monday. We now need to get him to eat enough milk so they take him off his vitamin sugar water and fat and then they can take out his pic-line in his head. He will also be taken off his oxygen canula tomorrow if he does well when they continue to lower the amount of oxygen given to him. All in all he is doing really well and ready to come home. I'm not sure how many more days left but we are getting closer. The doctor is strict about not letting him leave until he eats very well.





2 comments:

John Hicks said...

It is 1 am here and I have just checked in before I go to bed. Everything is sounding so positive for Asher. Long may he continue to improve and get stronger day by day. Our love to you all. John & Trudy. XX

Lynne said...

Our baby is swaddled and in a regular newborn hospital bed! Not lying uncovered with dozens of tubes coming out of his little body. Hooray. He is a fighter. So are his mommy and daddy, bless 'em. God bless you all. Love, Mum